Future Global Leaders is an internship program open to recent college graduates and current students. We offer paid, part-time internships in our Portland office. As a Research Assistant, MITC interns gain practical experience researching international markets and assisting Maine businesses.
Candidates must have completed their junior year of college before beginning the internship and are selected from an applicant pool based on academic performance (GPA of 3.0 or higher required), demonstrated research and writing ability, and interest in the international trade arena.
for Fall 2019
Monday, May 20, 2019
at 5:00 PM
See below for application instructions.
- Reimbursement – Graduate students are compensated at the rate of $11.10 per hour. Undergraduates receive $10.10 per hour.
- Academic credit – Students typically receive academic credit for MITC internships.
- Experience – Solid, practical work experience researching international markets
in a professional environment.
- Connections – MITC Research Assistants have the opportunity to work directly with Maine companies under proper supervision. Research Assistants are encouraged to go on company visits and client calls with staff members when appropriate.
- Perspective – Assisting Maine companies with their export or import-related questions offers students a unique window into the challenges and opportunities for Maine companies doing business internationally.
- In-depth analysis – Possibility of long-term assignment to course-specific, country-specific or industry-specific projects, including biotechnology, environmental technology, secondary wood products, composite materials, consumer goods, food, and software/IT.
- Access – To MITC programs and events, as well as events and seminars hosted by federal and state agencies and other economic development organizations.
- Fielding technical assistance queries from MITC clients
- Determining product classifications, industry codes, tariff rates and taxes for imported and exported goods
- Researching “best markets” for products
- Sourcing materials internationally
- Researching industry and product-specific trade leads
- Locating appropriate country-specific trade regulations, market research reports, and news articles
- Researching trade statistics
How to Apply
We look forward to the opportunity to review your application, which should include:
- A cover letter explaining your background, your reason for applying, and how an internship at MITC will further your future goals.
- A current resume.
- A copy of your grades (it need not be an *official* transcript – an online printout will suffice).
- A writing sample (an essay or report that you have submitted for one of your courses).
Send the completed application package to:
Maine International Trade Center
2 Portland Fish Pier, Suite 204
Portland, ME 04101